Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2018

John A......taking the scenic route

John A.    watercolor/gouache    20 x 12
Not all works are completed in due time.  This one, along with another, was tucked away in a corner during the winter holidays.  The first, of a Victorian home in Columbus, was quite a disaster.  After spending another session on it, the work was relegated to the burn pile.  John offered more possibilities.

John posed for our watercolor class a few sessions ago.  It was attacked quickly, yet lightly.  Upon review, I discovered that the front arm took too much attention away from the face, so I began moving pieces and parts, blocks of color around.  As you can see, I am no slave to reality, and quite enjoy shifting focus and values to further my goal.  Background areas were painted, then washed off in my laundry tub to soften and blend.  (Note:  washed off, letting only water hit the surface....not scrubbed off) Eventually, I brushed and squeezed on a blue gouache mix left over from another project.  My heart went pitter pat.  I realized that I had come as close as possible to the version that pleased me.  Granted, I never start out to take the long way around to anything(the scenic route), but meandering can be beautiful as well as teaching us a few things along the way.

I am pleased.

No comments: