Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2020

Flight of Fancy

Ascension   oil/canvas   24 x 48 x 1.5
This painting, is, was a flight of fancy for me.  While based in reality (the reference photos were shot at the parade in University Circle  Cleveland several years back), its intention is simply "upwards".  During this weird time period of sickness and fear, I needed this flight of fancy to maintain equilibrium, a return to a positive outlook when faced with so much turmoil and distress.

Actually, my brain takes MANY flights of fancy each day.  I am not sure if this happens to anyone else, or to everyone.  But I can say for certain, that these little mind travels are imperative to my emotional well being.  It is only when my mind is otherwise occupied with sociability and tasks that life becomes, well, dull and static. 

And, as sychronicity would have it, I am currently reading my first ever surrealistic work, Nadja by Andre Breton.  He questions whether or not we are defined by the lives we lead on a daily basis OR by the surprises, the flights of fancy, that we take.

And, so it is that this work is a bit of, I believe, surrealism on my part.  My flight of fancy.

No comments: