Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Drawings

Laborer   charcoal/paper   15 x 21
Some artists use drawings only as vehicles in the preparation for subsequent paintings. I do that a lot. But I also like drawings as finished art. By subtracting color from the design mix, the resultant limited palette can carry lots of strength with value changes and creative line work. And I have always loved loved loved drawings done in earth tones....they convey strength and softness all at the same time for me. "Laborer" was done from a live model. John looks like the guys I see at Circle K at the end of each work day buying their high-powered beer to get them through an evening filled with aches and pains just to get up and do it again the next day. I respect their physical labors. An honest day's work. Little in the way of financial rewards. Fatigue. That is what I wanted the work to say. I can relate.

No comments: