Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Garden Phlox

Garden Phlox   watercolor   10 x 10
What watercolor class would be complete without a floral study?  ....which I consider to be among the most difficult of subjects, due to the fact that there is an overwhelming amount of information that must be sifted and sorted.

But I also believe that there must be a why...the reason why this particular bloom, among so very many, was selected as a subject.  For me, this painting was color-driven.  As I pass by it beside our porch, I am momentarily stunned by its color, the mysterious product of nature.  The overall atmosphere is so much more important to me than perfect leaves, perfect blossoms, perfect stems.

The greatest challenge in this one was the middle circle, the missing area that contains information on a plane that is further back than the outer rim of blossoms. The background wash was extended into this inner circle and the information only suggested.  And, of course, I added my signature brown to neutralize the sweetness of the so much pure color.  I also like the stem which has been skewed from the vertical.

I am pleased.

No comments: