Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2020

Farming

Farming   watercolor   19 x 11
is a difficult endeavor, although it holds a rather romantic notion in our minds...one of simplicity and honesty, I think. 

My goal in painting this work was to focus on a foreground of semi-nothingness, a quilt work patterning where values and color tonalities have minimal variation.  And, I realize that this challenge may have been far more easily accomplished in oil than watercolor.  For the reference photo, I pulled off of a major highway and hiked to the edge of a local farm.  The terrain was horribly uneven and difficult to maneuver.  I chose a spot leading up to the farm that best seemed to illustrate my goal.  The sky was minimalized.  The buildings were done in just a few strokes.  Most of the work was, of course, in the foreground, where I attempted to achieve chaos and uncertainty.  I am satisfied with this attempt, although I found myself yearning for more opacity, as transparent watercolor has a limited range of workability.

All in all, I feel that this work totally exemplifies the difficulties of farming.

No comments: