Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2021

Recycling and P. R. Miller

OIL/CANVAS 20 X 16 X 1.5 P.R. Miller haslong been a fixture in the Akron, Ohio art scene. He is, admittedly, eccentric and calls himself The Grizzled Wizard. And he is quite a character. Many years ago, he posed for our local art group for, I believe, three sessions...that was 2007. Recently, I unearthed this painting from my archives. While I still enjoyed the likeness, the pose and the painterly quality, I was highly disturbed by the background. Texture, texture, too much texture everywhere! So....taking brush to hand, I gave the background a new sparse look. While I am happy with the improvement, it is definitely not the way I would approach the subject at this moment in 2021. And, yet.....I cannot help but think that this newer treatment is appropriate for P.R. Miller, the ultimate and foresightful recycler!

No comments: