Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The King Midas Touch...

Gerbera   watercolor/mixed on paper   9.5 x 12.5
Gold has a history of desirability, representing wealth and status.  As we define ourselves as artists, we gradually sort through what is us and what is not.  For the most part, I have rejected this notion of gold-status.  I do not like gold jewelry....or gold frames.  I much prefer the weathered look of worn materials of an everyday nature...flaking paint, rusted iron and speckled stained materials.  Me.  Years ago, however, when studying calligraphy, I often admired the gold leafing on ages-old manuscripts and holy books.  The reflective quality was beyond compare, even after hundreds of years.  In my art cabinet is a kit containing all the things needed in order to gold leaf.  It sat unused for so many years....simply because I did not want to read the lengthy instruction manual.  I am a doer...not a reader.  A few weeks ago a painting of a gerbera daisy just seemed lackluster, for want of a better word.  I pulled out the kit and read the instructions.  Yes, read.  It really wasn't so difficult.  I loved the addition of this material onto the painting.

Never say never.

No comments: