Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2020

Waiting For a Friend



There were two major opportunities in this little scenario that gave me pause.

The first....a black-lit situation.  These have always made me uncomfortable, as I am a value painter who relishes the shifts of light over the terrain of the human face.  With the light coming from behind, the value play, while atmospheric, is so limited.  In these cases, it seems to me, the silhouette, the profile becomes more important...harder edges result.  So....this case allowed for some practice in this situation.  I find it less interesting, but still enjoyable.

The second....waiting.  I have heard it said that real life is what happens when one is waiting for something more exciting to come along.  This young woman, intent on her phone, was seemingly waiting for cues from "the somewhere else" to amuse and entertain her.  Being a person who immensely enjoys the free play of my own mind, I find this alternative both alien and unsatisfactory.  Being alone provides me with so much pleasure!  People with cell phones are never alone...how sad?

No comments: