Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Fruits of the Summer and Parlor Tricks

I am not really into parlor tricks, or "special effects" in painting.....as I value solid painting skills and solid brushwork...at least that is my aim.  Sure, I have used wadded up plastic wrap to create texture and rely regularly on spritzing for its subtle effects.  But I have to draw the line at sponged trees.  In fact, being a watercolor purist nagged at me for years before I succumbed to being "allowed" to add Chinese white or gouache for more opacity.  I am more forgiving these days.  My notion of what makes for good artwork has expanded considerably.

These small fruit paintings were adhered to wood cradles with acrylic matte medium and glazed on top with cold wax.  The resultant effects were quite exciting to me, as a painter who always matted and framed watercolors.  (increasing their size substantially)  I worked in brighter colors and simpler shapes.  The results are richer, more compact.  I feel that they pack more of a punch, being similar to small oil paintings which I usually work on a gallery wrap canvas.  Very exciting.

Do watercolors always have to be matted and framed?  I think not.  And I am anxious to try some larger works using this method.

Granny Smith and Lime   watercolor/cold wax on wood cradle   8 x 8 x .75

Lemon   watercolor/cold wax on wood cradle   8 x 8 x .75

Grapefruit   watercolor/cold wax on wood cradle   8 x 8 x .75

No comments: